I was honoured to be chosen to work with them on this campaign, by pulling together an alternative dish for people living with bowel conditions using ingredients that are friendly to the digestive system.
Mr FFL and I got in the kitchen and created this low fodmap and gluten free recipe; a mince pie case, chocolate and ginger brownie filling topped with a candied orange.
I think they are delicious and a create treat over the Christmas period! The ginger was added to help the gut and the chocolate was added, because, well who doesn’t like chocolate!
Makes 24 pies
- 375g gluten free plain flour
- 260g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- One large egg
- 180g unsalted butter
- 180g dark cooking chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 250g caster sugar
- 110g gluten free plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 150g crystallised Ginger pieces
- 2 oranges
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 3 cups of water
First pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees, Gas Mark 4.
- Rub the butter and flour together until it is a crumb consistency.
- Mix in the sugar and egg.
- Mould into one mass, wrap in cling film and place in the freezer for 10-20 mins.
- Whilst the pastry is chilling in the freezer, melt the butter and chocolate together for the brownie mix.
- Beat the eggs in with the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave. Once the chocolate is melted, let it cool before beating in the eggs and sugar. Then add the gluten free flour, ginger and salt.
- Beat until smooth.
- Remove the pastry from the freezer and roll to 3mm thickness. Using a round cutter, cut out the bases and place in a muffin tray. Fill with brownie mix.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 mins.
- Thoroughly wash the oranges to get off any waxy coating.
- Slice off the ends of the oranges and throw away. Then slice the rest of the oranges into slices, then quarters.
- In a wide pan, heat the water and pour in the sugar. Stir until dissolved. Do stop stiring after the sugar is dissolved, otherwise the sugar will crystalise.
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and add the orange slice. Leave the orange boiling for 15 mins and then turn the oranges over.
- Cook for another 15 – 20 mins until the peel is clear.
- Remove from the pan and cool on baking paper on a wire rack.
- Add edible gitter to the top of the pies.
- Then add a piece of candied orange to each pie.